Couch to 5K Guide to Success
Looking to complete your first 5K? Do you know how to train for a 5K? Regardless of your experience, CureSearch Challenge is here to help you achieve your goal of completing your first 5K in just two months!
How YOU Train is up to YOU
- Two ways to follow a Couch to 5K routine is focusing on time or distance. They both will get the job done, but decide which one seems easiest for you to keep track of.
If your choice is distance, and you aren’t using a GPS watch or treadmill to measure, just estimate. If you are off slightly, it’s not a big issue.
- If you go by time, make sure you are putting in the recommended 20 to 30 minutes. As you progress you can combine the two, and start tracking your improvements, but do not rush this!
How to Start Your 5K Training
- Each time you exercise you should set aside about 20 to 30 minutes, three times a week. Be sure to space out these days throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover.
- Remember, your speed is not important. Running faster can wait until your body is ready. For now focus on slowly increasing the time or distance you run.
- There is no need to push yourself from the start. Begin with a quarter or half mile, slowly work your way up, and remember to stretch!
- Repeat weeks if needed and move ahead only when you feel you’re ready.
Set up your own CureSearch Challenge page to begin your journey! You can visit curesearchchallenge.org/yourchallenge
to learn more about setting up your page, or email email@example.com for assistance along the way!